Monsanto, the maker of Roundup®, was found liable for a terminally ill man’s cancer.
On Friday, a jury found that Monsanto had acted with “malice” and that the weedkiller was a “substantial contributing factor” to the plaintiff’s cancer. Furthermore, the jury concluded that Monsanto knew Roundup® was dangerous and had failed to warn consumers of the danger.
This was the FIRST lawsuit to go to trial alleging that glyphosate, one of the active ingredients in Roundup®, caused cancer. According to the plaintiff’s lawyer:
“We were finally able to show the jury the secret, internal Monsanto documents proving that Monsanto has known for decades that … Roundup® could cause cancer.”
Why Should You Care?
Glyphosate effects EVERYONE. It is the most commonly used weedkiller in the world. Consequently, it’s nearly impossible to escape it: It’s sprayed on crops, playgrounds, parks, school grounds, and yards.
It can be found in breast milk, drinking water, rain samples, and the food we feed our families. It’s even sometimes found in organic foods. This victory is thought to bolster the thousands of similar lawsuits that are currently pending against Monsanto.
Let’s not wait for more juries to assign guilt before we take action!
What You Can Do:
1. Don’t spray your lawn or garden with Roundup or any glyphosate-containing weedkiller. As an alternative, we pull unwanted weeds by hand or spray with a 1:1 mixture of organic vinegar and water.
2. Politely ask your neighbors not to spray their lawn with glyphosate-containing chemicals.
3. Choose foods that are not sprayed with chemicals.
Here’s a couple of starting points:
In the grocery store, look for the USDA Organic seal AND the words “100% organic” on the package or label. This applies to all foods: meat, eggs, milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, fruit, vegetables, and processed foods.
Ask your farmer if any chemicals are sprayed on the crops or on the feed that is given to the animals.
4. Look for the Glyphosate Residue Free verification seal. Purchase those products instead of their counterparts that do not carry the seal. Click HERE to find a list of certified products.
2. Listen to the verdict:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um00x2ElTWs&feature=youtu.be
3. Find out more about the Glyphosate Residue Free verification seal HERE.