This is my “go-to” salad. It’s quick, tastes good, and helps my digestive tract function optimally.
1 head Lettuce
2 Beets, Cooked
1 Heaping Tablespoon Sauerkraut
Ginger root, to taste
Turmeric root, to taste
Avocado Oil, to taste
1. Cut up lettuce, beets and avocado. Place in bowl. If using Salad In A Jar, just add avocado to your pre-made salad.
2. Add sauerkraut.
3. Remove the outer surface of the ginger root and turmeric using either a spoon or a potato peeler. Then, shred the peeled roots by using either the potato peeler or a fork (scratch the peeled root across the tines of a fork). Add the root shreds to the bowl.
4. Pour avocado oil over salad (I add 3-4 Tbsp).
5. Sprinkle with salt to taste (I add roughly 1/4 teaspoon).
1. I only use organic ingredients.
2. Fresh ginger can have a strong flavor. I slowly increased the amount I add to my salad. Also, I found that if I eat the ginger with the sauerkraut and beets, it provides a nice balance.
3. Sauerkraut can irritate your gut. When I was healing my gut, my body could not tolerate sauerkraut – I experienced bloating and cramping. As my gut healed, I slowly added sauerkraut into my diet, one teaspoon at a time. Now I can eat a heaping tablespoon with each meal and my body loves it.
4. With the remaining half of the avocado, I make guacamole for my children.
5. We are individuals, so please choose the ingredients that work best with your body. Personally, I buy beets pre-cooked from WholeFoods (Love Beets) and sauerkraut from Wegman’s. Both of those products work with my body.